Monday, February 13, 2006

Pre-Season Happenings

Last Saturday was the team party, complete with unveiling of the hot, hot new kit. Black and wine, that's all I'll say until I model it for everyone.

I spent three hours on the bike today, one outside (38 degrees) and two inside on the trainer. Ever since the weather got bad at the beginning of this month, I've become pretty good friends with the trainer, despite my past hatred of it. I've gotten serious about my training again. That's a good thing, considering the first race of the season is this Sunday.

I can't shake the feeling that I'm in horrible shape. I just don't feel right on the bike yet. I know it's February, and I can't expect to have the form I'll be enjoying in April or May, but something in my head keeps whispering that I'm going to get dropped by everyone at every race.

Is that normal? Does Jens Voigt ever wonder if he'll find himself dropped from the breakaway with blown legs after just 50 kilometers?

All I can do is train well and prepare for the race, and then sit in and suffer for 70 miles in sub-freezing weather. Come March, when the Spring series starts and I'm racing every weekend, maybe then I'll feel confident again. Luckily this season I have a great team to help me out when I need it. I'll be counting on them.