Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Brief Hiatus, I Hope

Yesterday afternoon I managed to dislocate my knee while working out in the gym. Mind you, I wasn't training my legs. In fact, I was doing shrugs. As I was returning the 55-pound dumbbells (one in each hand) to the weight rack on the other side of the gym, I stepped on my foot wrong and immediately felt my left knee pop out of place. I hit the floor with a thud and immediately knew I had done something bad. I was able to stand and attempt to walk it off (yeah right), but by the time I got home the knee had swollen to the size of a softball.

I eventually went to the emergency room and they immobilized it. I now have to wait until Friday to see an orthopedist and determine the extent of the damage. The initial x-rays came back with no breaks or bone damage, but only an MRI will reveal any tendon or ligament tearing. Hopefully the results are not as bad as the pain in my knee.

At any rate, I won't be racing again for at least a couple of weeks, minimum. It sucks because I was riding really strong and was hoping for some good showings in the upcoming crits and circuit races. But such is life.

Below is a photo of me just home from the hospital. Go Team Bolla!



Maybe someday I won't be such a moron.